IVZW EUROPEAN PAIN FEDERATION EFIC, with registered office at 18 rue de Londres, Ixelles/Elsene 1050, Bruxelles/Brussel, Belgium, with VAT number 0470073480, https://www.europeanpainfederation.eu/, as well as its affiliated companies (hereinafter referred to as “EFIC”), considers the careful handling of personal data of high importance.
This policy specifies which personal data are collected by EFIC, the purposes for which the collected personal data are used and how efforts are made to ensure adequate protection of these data.
EFIC follows in this respect the Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of individuals with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data and repealing Directive 95/46/EU, hereinafter referred to as ‘GDPR’. Furthermore, EFIC will ensure that it confirms as far as possible to the provisions of the implementing decisions taken as a result of the aforementioned legislation.
1. Personal Data
Personal data includes all information relating to an identified or identifiable person. A person is considered ‘identifiable’ if he or she can be identified, directly or indirectly, in particular by reference to an identification number or to one or more factors specific to his or her physical, physiological, mental, economic, cultural or social identity.
The personal data that EFIC collects in order to perform its services mainly relates to contact details, such as your title, surname, first name, address, telephone number(s) and e-mail address.
In circumstances where fees have been paid or an invoice has been issued, EFIC may hold personal data such as your bank account number and company number.
In circumstances where a registration or application process has required it, EFIC may hold personal data such as your personal identification details including photo, CV, proof of medical/healthcare qualifications, and your institutional affiliation
In circumstances where you have consented to it, EFIC may hold data such as your address, healthcare profession, professional role, and scientific interests.
In your interactions with EFIC via its website cookies, online forms, and mailings, EFIC receives information such as your IP address, metrics relating to your use of our website and the mailings we send.
2. Data management
EFIC ensures a high level of security for the personal data stored and processed. Both EFIC and its employees shall take the necessary technical and organizational measures to ensure the security of the processing to be carried out.
EFIC shall ensure, to the extent possible and reasonable, that data are kept up to date and that incorrect, incomplete and irrelevant data are corrected or deleted.
Furthermore, EFIC shall ensure, to the extent possible and reasonable, that its employees and/or trusted service providers have only limited access to data and processing facilities. In particular, they shall be restricted to persons who need them to carry out their duties or to what is necessary for the needs of the service. In this way, EFIC seeks to provide an appropriate level of security for these personal data and their processing.
The data subject will be obliged to provide EFIC with the requested personal data as this is a necessary condition for the conclusion and execution of the agreement.
If the data subject does not provide the requested data, EFIC will not be able to provide the requested services.
3. Purpose of the processing
EFIC processes personal data for various purposes. Each processing operation shall only process the data necessary.
The aims of EFIC are to advance the understanding and knowledge of pain and its treatment, through activities in the fields of education, research and advocacy. The processing of personal data is only done for the purpose of achieving these aims.
In more concrete terms, personal data is processed for the following reasons:
- Organising the registration processes for events and activities for which attendees voluntarily provide their data and during which they agree to their data being processed
- Ensuring that the information EFIC provides you with via its communication activities (e.g, emails) are relevant to your scientific interests and professional background
- For the purpose of validating input to surveys and other research projects
- Managing and distributing a scientific journal; the European Journal of Pain
- Oversight of employees, service providers, Executive Board members and Councillors
- Management of volunteers
- Administrative management of the Federation e.g. financial, legal
- Defining EFIC’s target audience for advertising and promoting EFIC’s services on third party platforms, such as social media
4. Legal basis of the processing
The processing of personal data by EFIC is therefore carried out on the basis of the following legal grounds:
- when we have obtained your active consent:
- when you have completed a sign-up form provided by EFIC
- when you have submitted data directly to EFIC e.g. via email for a specific purpose
- in the context of the performance of a contract or the taking of pre-contractual measures, or
- from a need to protect the legitimate interests of EFIC, in particular to adequately represent the community of clinicians and researchers involved in pain medicine in Europe, and to update them on activities of relevance to their professional interest in pain.
- in order to comply with all legal or regulatory provisions to which EFIC is subject.
5. Data sharing
The personal data concerned will necessarily also be shared with partners who assist EFIC in achieving the objectives mentioned above, e.g.
- Registration and payment platform providers
- Communications agencies responsible for managing EFIC’s websites
- Event managers (responsible for delivering events and admitting attendees)
- Online platforms managed by EFIC
Current and recent partners include:
- HubSpot – https://www.hubspot.com/
- Falcon – https://www.falcon.io/
- MailChimp – https://mailchimp.com/
- WooCommerce – https://woocommerce.com
- I.T. Group GmbH – https://www.kit-group.org/
- Labroots, Inc – https://www.labroots.com/
- Enovation Solutions – https://enovation.ie/
- communication GmbH – https://www.1601.com/
- Google – https://www.google.com/
- Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/
- LinkedIn – https://www.linkedin.com/
EFIC’s websites and online platforms also contain third party ‘cookies’. The information generated by the cookie regarding your use of this website (including your IP-address) will be transmitted and stored on these third-party servers both in and outside the European Union. For a list of the cookies used, on an EFIC website, please click on the lock symbol on the left-hand side of the address bar on your browser or by using a third-party service such as https://www.cookieserve.com/.
EFIC advises that users on its various social media platforms are familiar with the privacy policies of those platforms.
6. Data retention
EFIC will store, keep and process the personal data concerned for the entire period of time during which the data subject calls upon EFIC’s services.
After the data subject has indicated to EFIC that he or she no longer wishes to use the services of EFIC, for example by unsubscribing to the newsletters, or when the data subject uses his/her right to delete the personal data, the personal data will be deleted, unless other legal limitation or retention periods would require a longer period. This period should enable EFIC to meet its legal obligations, enforce requirements, resolve disputes, maintain security, prevent fraud or misuse, etc.
Where there has been no involvement of a data subject in the activities listed in article 3 for a period of 5 years, EFIC will delete all personal data on the data subject, unless legal or ethical obligations require a permanent retention of data.
7. Rights of natural persons
EFIC will facilitate the exercise of the following rights:
- The right to access his/her personal data;
- The right to rectification of his/her inaccurate personal data;
- The right to erasure of his/her personal data;
- The right to limitation of the processing of his/her personal data;
- The right to transferability of his/her data;
- The right to object to automated individual decision-making.
In addition, the data subject shall have the right at any time to withdraw his/her consent to the processing of his/her personal data. Such withdrawal shall not, however, affect the lawfulness of processing on the basis of the consent prior to the withdrawal.
In order to exercise the rights mentioned above, you can send a request to EFIC by e-mail to the following e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org. In order to be sure of the identity of the person asking the question, he or she must enclose a copy of his or her identity document with this application. EFIC will respond to the customer’s request promptly and in any event within one month.
9. Final provisions
If the data subject considers that the processing of his/her personal data is in breach of the provisions of the General Data Protection Regulation, he/she may submit a complaint to the competent supervisory authority.
11. EFIC Academy Membership Terms
These terms and conditions (the “Terms”) apply to your purchase of membership of the European Pain Federation Academy (“EFIC Academy membership”). Please read these Terms carefully before completing the purchase of your membership as they will form the basis of the contract between you and the European Pain Federation EFIC (“EFIC”).
The European Pain Federation EFIC
The European Pain Federation EFIC (European Federation of IASP Chapters) ivzw, international non-profit organisation, with its registered office at 1050 Brussels (Belgium), Rue de Londres 18, ground floor, company number 0470.073.480, Phone: +32 2 251 55 10 and E-mail: email@example.com.
Prices and Information
The price for EFIC Academy membership and all benefits provided can be found on the EFIC website. All prices for EFIC Academy membership are annual payments in € EUR, including tax where applicable.
The payment process should be instantaneous, including proof of payment. A separate communication confirming your status as an EFIC Academy member should follow shortly afterwards. This communication should take no more than 3 working days. Your status as an EFIC Academy member and your ability to access all related benefits will take effect immediately after you receive the confirmation communication. Membership shall have a duration of 365 days from the date of the invoice.
Unless cancelled by the member, your EFIC Academy membership will renew automatically after one year. You will receive a reminder via email 6 weeks in advance of renewal giving you the option to cancel your membership at the one-year mark. In order to avoid auto-renewal, you need to cancel your membership before the end of the period you have paid for.
Your EFIC Academy membership is non-transferable so that only you will be able to use it. In the event of misuse, EFIC reserves the right to withdraw your Academy membership (with payment for Membership being forfeit) and ban you from becoming a member in the future.
If you wish to cancel your EFIC Academy membership before the one-year mark, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. You will have access to your benefits until the end of the period you have paid for.
EFIC reserves the right to amend or revise these Terms at any time without notice. Any changes to the Terms apply with immediate effect from the date of publication on the EFIC website.
No third party shall have any rights under or in relation to the Terms.
Fulfilment and Jurisdiction
These general terms and conditions are solely governed to the law of Belgium. In the event of any legal claims arising here from, the Belgian courts of Brussels shall be the sole courts of jurisdiction. Please contact email@example.com regarding any questions about the European Pain Federation Academy.