Sustainability at #EFIC2023
While we are very happy to have a large, face-to-face gathering in Budapest in 2023, the European Pain Federation EFIC is of course dedicated to minimising the environmental impact of our congress as much as possible.
How do we do this?
- We start by conducting thorough and in-depth research before choosing both the congress center and our suppliers where we check sustainability protocols and processes in place. For example, our venue Hungexpo in Budapest provides reusable cutlery, focuses on seasonal ingredients from local suppliers for their catering services and follows a strict “reduce – reuse – recycle” rule for their waste management. Find out more about Hungexpo’s sustainability commitments here.
- We apply a strict policy when selecting suppliers and invite them to follow sustainable practices. We limit the use of non-recyclable plastic to a minimum and encourage delegates to use reusable water bottles or mugs.
- We make smart choices about our conference materials: We are replacing the programme book with an app, we are keeping printed promotional materials to an absolute minimum. In addition, we encourage all our exhibitors to join us in this initiative and reduce single-use giveaways at their stands. We try to use as many sustainable materials as possible instead of using disposable materials such as carpets.
- We also make an effort to repurpose materials from previous events, and if we have to produce custom designs, we do our best to source materials from local vendors to reduce the cost and emissions of transport.
- All food and beverage utensils used at #EFIC2023 will be reusable or compostable. We will donate any surplus food that meets the suitable requirements to non-profit associations in the surrounding area.
- We also like offer those who choose not to travel the option of benefitting from the scientific discussion at #EFIC2023. For this, we will be recording selected scientific sessions which will then be available on-demand via the EFIC Academy Education Platform for EFIC Academy members. In recent years, EFIC has expanded its forms of virtual activity, to allow us to communicate, educate and engage as a European organisation without the need for international travel.
How can #EFIC2023 attendees contribute?
- Offset the carbon emissions from your trip to Budapest and support a project with social value (learn more here)
- When travelling to Budapest, why not go part or all of your route via bus or train? There are a several direct trains each day from Vienna, Prague, and Munich, plus at least once daily from Zurich, Hamburg, Berlin, and Dresden. There is also an impressive range of direct overnight services, with the following cities all featuring on the departure boards: Belgrade, Bucharest, Kiev, Kraków, and Warsaw. Find out more here.
- Use the #EFIC2023 mobile app and our website to inquire about the programme and other details around the congress
- Reduce the waste you generate at the congress
- Opt for a reusable mug or water bottle