The objectives of EFIC are:
- To improve research, education, and clinical management of pain and serve as an authoritative, science-based resource on issues related to pain and its treatment.
- To promote multidisciplinary and multi professional pain management and the ‘biopsychosocial’ model of pain.
- To advance the understanding and knowledge of pain mechanisms, pain characteristics, diagnosis of pain conditions, the impact of pain on the individual and on society, and the management of pain.
- To support the work of its Chapters in achieving these objectives.
EFIC hopes to achieve these objectives through the following activities:
- Developing educational programs to improve pain knowledge amongst healthcare practitioners and researchers.
- Raising awareness of the importance of pain, including its management, treatment and prevention, amongst patients and the general public.
- Engaging in research projects and disseminating research funding, in order to advance the scientific understanding of pain.
- Campaigning to improve policies that affect pain and to increase funding for pain in public research programs
- Organising a scientific congress on pain, showcasing the latest research and clinical management approaches
- Publishing a scientific journal, the European Journal of Pain, to disseminate the latest research findings and an evidence-based approach to pain medicine.
- Creating and disseminating evidence-based guidance for clinicians.