European Pain Federation Diploma in Pain Physiotherapy
The next sitting of the Examination for the European Pain Federation Diploma in Pain Physiotherapy (EDPP) will take place at the Gasthuisberg campus of the University of Leuven on the 18th April 2020.
Registration is now open. Please find updated information below.
The purpose of the EDPP is to improve the standard of pain assessment and treatment through the provision of a qualification for physiotherapists that tests their broad understanding of all types of pain and their treatment. The content of the Examination is based upon the European Pain Federation EFIC Curriculum for the European Diploma in Pain Physiotherapy (‘the Curriculum’) and accompanying reading list. The EDPP is open to all qualified physiotherapists who see and treat people with pain. Demonstrable possession of a Physiotherapy Degree or Diploma is required, as well as evidence of registration with your national authority or professional body to certify your status as a physiotherapist. Appropriate clinical experience in pain assessment and treatment is essential. The EDPP is open to physiotherapists qualified to work in a hospital setting, assisting patients with rehabilitative efforts following illness or disease. Diplomas obtained via online or short-term courses are, in general, not acceptable. The Examination is composed of three parts:
- Part 1 – a multiple-choice question (MCQ) examination (90 minutes, 35%)
- Part 2 – a series of practical clinical skills examinations (20 minutes, 30%)
- Part 3 – a viva examination – including case study reports (15 minutes, 35%)
The MCQ examination is designed to test the participants’ knowledge of the curriculum.
The MCQ examination will feature 50 questions. Each question will be composed of a stem followed by three to six answer statements. Each answer statement will either be true or false. There will be no negative marking.
The time provided for the MCQ examination will be 90 minutes.
The MCQ examination will be in paper form, and answers will be marked using either a pen or a pencil. Participants should take care to ensure that one choice of either true or false is marked per answer statement.
Clinical Skills Examination
Clinical Skills Examination (30%)
The Clinical Skills Examination will test the participants’ clinical skills, handling and communication skills.
The candidate will be asked to demonstrate 10 diagnostic or treatment skills, each representing a clinical situation.
The viva is designed to test the participants’ clinical experience, reasoning, attitude and communication skills.
A viva is an oral examination in which the applicant is asked to engage in a dialogue with two examiners. The viva will be based on three case study reports submitted by the applicant. The case study reports themselves will be assessed, as well as the viva.
Candidates will be accepted for participation if they meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Demonstrable possession of a Physiotherapy Degree or Diploma
- Evidence of registration with your national authority or professional body to certify your status as a physiotherapist
- Curriculum Vitae detailing at least three years’ clinical work in which patients with pain have been assessed and treated
- Letter of support or endorsement from two referees. For example, a head of department, clinical director or senior colleague. Endorsement letter should state that the candidate is in good standing in their country, and in their department, and is involved in seeing and managing patients with pain on a regular basis.
- Completion of application form online
- Strong working knowledge of English (oral and written)
- Payment of fees ahead of the requested deadline
- Submission of three case study reports as per case study instructions
The Examination content, both written and oral, will be in English. Participants are advised that a high-level of spoken and written English is required. Translation or interpretation services are not possible for this Examination.
A non-refundable registration fee of 250 Euros is required for participation in the Examination.