EFIC Pain School on Neuropathic Pain
24th – 27th October 2022
Hôpital neurologique de Lyon, 59 Bd Pinel, 69677 Bron, France
Board of Directors: Luis Garcia-Larrea/France, Roberto Casale/Italy, Magdi Hanna/UK, Per Hansson/Norway-Sweden
Daniel Ciampi de Andrade
The school accepts a multidisciplinary and multiprofessional group of attendees. In the past these have included anaesthesiologists, neurologists, consultants/specialists in pain medicine, palliative care medicine specialists, psychiatrists, and rheumatologists. We have also had some physiotherapists with a specialist interest in the management of chronic pain. Anaesthesiologists, Neurologists , Consultants/Specialists in Pain Medicine, Palliative Medicine, Physiatrists, Rhgeumatologists. We had also some Physiotherapists with a specialist interest in the management of chronic pain.
- To correctly use the main descriptors of pain and other pain-related descriptors (IASP Taxonomy).
- To be able to understand, distinguish and use appropriately terms such as nociceptive, neuropathic, mixed, hypersensitivity and sensitization in consideration of their different mechanisms.
- To understand purposes and limits of the various tools used to assess presumed neuropathic pain.
- To understand the possible different mechanisms underlying a clinical aspect of pain and to plan a treatment course accordingly.
- To critically consider a mechanism-based versus a disease-based approach to neuropathic pain. On this basis, discuss the pharmacological treatment of neuropathic pain also in terms of efficacy/adverse effects ratio of the drug/s used.
- To understand the usefulness and limits of non-pharmacological approaches in the treatment of neuropathic pain including physical therapy and physiotherapy.
- To understand the use of multimodal and multidisciplinary approaches to chronic neuropathic pain. To take into consideration in the clinical decision-making, the possible presence of comorbidity.
How to apply
Please note: Application is now closed!
- EFIC offer 15 places per Pain School free of charge via a grant. For the chosen 15 applicants, all teaching and related activities are provided for free, along with accommodation and meals. The only significant cost these applicants should expect to pay is their travel.
- The application deadline is 31 May 2022. Candidates will be notified by the end of June 2022.
- All applications are evaluated by the European Pain Federation EFIC® Committee on Education and approved by the Executive Board